After I leave


I can change the locks on my doors and windows.


I can replace wooden doors with metal ones.


I can install security systems, including additional locks, window bars, poles to wedge against doors, etc.


I can buy rope ladders to be used for escape from second-floor windows.


I can install smoke detectors and put fire extinguishers on each floor in my home.


I will teach my children how to use the phone to make a collect call to me if they are concerned about their safety.


I can tell people who take care of my children which people have permission to pick them up and make sure they know how to recognize those people.


I will give the people who take care of my children copies of custody and protection orders, as well as emergency numbers.

At work and in public


I can inform my boss, the security supervisor and the employee assistance program, if available, about my situation. The number for the EAP office is                                                                                            .


I can ask                                                                               to screen my calls at work.


When leaving work, I can                                                                                                                                            .


If there’s trouble when traveling to and from work, I can                                                                                        .


I can change my patterns –

avoid stores, banks, doctor’s appointments, self-service laundries and                                                                                                , places where my partner might find me.


I can tell                                                                                and                                                                        that I am no longer with my partner and ask them to call the police if they believe my children and I are in danger.

With an order of protection


I will keep my protection order                                                                                                 .

(Always keep it on or near your person.)


I will give copies of my protection order to the local police or sheriff and departments in towns where I visit with friends and family.


I will give copies to my employer, my religious advisor, my closest friend, my children’s school and day-care center and                                                                                         .


If my partner destroys my order or if I lose it, I can get another copy from the court that issued it.


If my partner violates the order, I can call the police and report a violation, contact my attorney, call my domestic violence program advocate, and /or advise the court of the violation.


I can call a domestic violence program if I have questions about how to enforce an  order or if I have problems getting it enforced.

Domestic Violence

Victim Adovocate Unit

Belton, Missouri

 Police Department

7001 E. 163rd St.
Belton, MO  64012

General Calls: 816.331.5522
Dispatch: 816.331.1500 
TIPS: 816.348.4499 
Fax: 816.322.7057 

Elizabeth Crow

Victim Advocate


Cama Suess

Victim Advocate


Sexual Assault

Upcoming Events 

Sexual Assault Awareness Virtual Event

Be the rock

April 10th, 2020

Your Belton Police Department Victim Service Unit has placed some teal rocks around some high foot trafficked areas. While everyone is out walking and practicing their social distancing, be on the lookout for one of our rocks. If you find one, you can keep it or leave it for the next person to see. We do ask that you take a picture of it and post it on social media with #SAAM #BPDvAU #Yourstorymatters . Also, you can post it on our facebook page.

What we are hoping for with today's event, is even though we all might need these empowering words right now when our world is kind of crazy, there might be people out there who are struggling with being a victim and might need to know that they are not alone and that their story matters.

Do your research

April 11th, 2020

Did you know that the Belton Police Department Victim Service Unit has its own website? BPDVAU.ORG. We believe in fostering a culture that prioritizes consent and respect, and responds to and supports survivors and their allies. One of the ways the unit does this is by keeping several different resources posted here for not only domestic violence, but also for sexual assault.
Not only do we have information and resources but there are several different repatible websites you can visit. RAINN, NSVRC, and MCADSV are a few of them.
Today’s Sexual Assault Awareness Virtual Event, we are asking you do research on Sexual Assault Awareness and how you do your part. Once, you have done this, post to your social media what you have found out with #SAAM #BPDVAU

Donating new undergarments

April 12th, 2020

Sometimes when a victim is sexually assaulted, they might need to give the SANE nurse or the police department their undergarments for evidence. Only 5 out of every 1,000 perpetrators will end up in prison. This is one of the reasons why it is important for law enforcement to collect all the evidence that they can.


Today’s Sexual Assault Virtual Event we are asking that you purchase undergarments through amazon or your local store and have them shipped to the Belton Police Department or Cass County Sheriff's Office.

When we have a victim of sexual assault and their undergarments are requested for evidence, we will be able to supply this to our victims. This allows the victim to be able to replace them instead of wearing nothing at all under their clothing when they are done.

Please reload

This website was made possible by the STOP VAWA grant. 

© 2017 by The Sexual Violence Project. Proudly created with